Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: modem problems

To: Craig Terhune <craigter@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: modem problems
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 12:19:01 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Craig Terhune wrote:

> Jeff I know that I have fixed the problem in the past but I can't
> remember what I did. I have been running kppp as a user. I updated
> the sys (Suse6.3) now I keep getting can't open modem. Right now
> I'm running WV dial su from root. Any good ideas.

I don't use kppp or WV dial, so I don't know what exactly they're
doing differently.  Is /dev/modem a link to the correct /dev/ttyS
device? You might look at the configurations of both to see what
they're looking at. I assume the modem device has the correct
permissions to be readable by users other than root?

-jeff
--
default, n.: [Possibly from Black English "De fault wid dis system is you,
mon."] The vain attempt to avoid errors by inactivity.  "Nothing will