Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Executing commands at first login

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Executing commands at first login
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:59:21 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> I am trying to figure out how to run a command once when logging
> into my Debian box from the getty login prompt.

> I do start my xterms as login shells,

> Am I overlooking something obvious here?

Yes. Bash doesn't know the difference between your first login shell
and your 4th.  I'd suggest changing it so that your normal xterms
aren't login shells, or if you don't like that, put some brains into
.bash_profile to figure out if this is the first login or not.

-jeff
--
   (
   ))   <insert neat quote about tea here>