Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: boot question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: <kulua-l@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: boot question
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 Dec 1999 12:15:35 -0600

According to the LILO documentation, this means:

   LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
    loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
    installer.

Have you recently modified any files in /boot?  Compiled a new kernel?
Repartitioned your drive?  Defragmented the drive?

Also I might suggest that you investigate your BIOS settings.
Generally you will want the hard disk access method to be 'LBA' if
such is listed.  I am puzzled at the difference it makes between a
warm and a cold boot, however.  That Should Not Happen.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
  via Remote