Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: dos file permissions under linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: dos file permissions under linux
From: gLaNDix <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 14:17:41 -0600

try something like this...  it is what i have in my fstab:

/dev/hda1   /win     vfat     defaults,user,uid=1000,gid=100      0    1

it sets the owner to uid1000 (my user id) and gid 100 (my group... "users")...
also, there is a umask option you can put instead of the uid & gid options...
it
allows you to set the permissions to something like 755, so anyone can read, but
only the owner can write...  do a 'man fstab' ... i _think_ that was where i
found
the umask stuff...  or try 'man mount'...  the umask is kinda weird to figure
out,
because it's a mask, and not the actuall permissions (ie: umask=000 ==
permissions
of 777)...

g'luck!
jesse

"Clint A. Brubakken" wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, administrator wrote:
>

> > Does anyone know how to set file permissions on a fat32 drive that is
> > mounted under Linux?  Right now it is owned by root has these
> > permissions:  drwxr-xr-x.  I have Samba set up, and I can see it from
> > the network but I can't write to it.  I have tried to modify the
> > /etc/fstab file after reading the man pages for mount, but it is not
> > working out for me.  I am obviously doing something wrong.  Any
> > suggestions?
> >

> I treid and tried to mount it, and the only way I got it to work was to
> put it in my fstab and add ther user flag so any user can mount it, and
> thus it will be writable by them. Of course on a multiuser system this
> might not be the best option
>
> Does umsdos work over fat32? I was going to try experimenting with that,
> but haven't got to it yet
>
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Michael

> | The Cheez-Czar  http://www.hackboy.com/~cabrubak    |
> MICROSOFT - Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools
> Teenagers

"If we don't stand up to Micro$oft, who will?"
     - The Boycott Micro$oft Web Page

http://www.boycott-ms.org/