Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: dos file permissions under linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: dos file permissions under linux
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:28:49 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, administrator wrote:

> Does anyone know how to set file permissions on a fat32 drive that is
> mounted under Linux?  Right now it is owned by root has these
> permissions:  drwxr-xr-x.  I have Samba set up, and I can see it from
> the network but I can't write to it.  I have tried to modify the
> /etc/fstab file after reading the man pages for mount, but it is not
> working out for me.  I am obviously doing something wrong.  Any
> suggestions?

I treid and tried to mount it, and the only way I got it to work was to
put it in my fstab and add ther user flag so any user can mount it, and
thus it will be writable by them. Of course on a multiuser system this
might not be the best option

Does umsdos work over fat32? I was going to try experimenting with that,
but haven't got to it yet

> Thanks in advance,
> Michael

| The Cheez-Czar  http://www.hackboy.com/~cabrubak    |
MICROSOFT - Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools Teenagers