Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: lpr

To: kulua-l@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: kclug <kclug@xxxxxxxxx>, aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: lpr
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:12:31 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Lowell "Nancy Premer" wrote:

> Folks,
>     At school, I'm trying to set up a local printer on a
> 486 that we got from a gov't donation. Running RH5.2, I
> used printtool to write the printcap file, and only /dev
> /lp1 was detected. Now when I send a test page from print-
> tool, he says "can't write file /dev/lp1; file busy". Back
>  at the command line, I send a job to lpr and get "lpr:
> connect:no such file or directory.jobs queued but cannot
> start daemon." Immediately after this message, lpq yields
> "lp is ready and printing". In /dev, lp0,1,&2 are present;
> in var/spool/lpd/lp, lp.lock says 517.
>     Any ideas?

This may or may not be related, and isn't even a lot of help, now that
I think about it, but something to grind through the mill:

A couple months ago, I was helping a guy at work with his linux
installation on a laptop. He was trying to set up a printer (or had,
and was changing something), but couldn't get prints to go. Had a
similar error message to yours, with "connect: <something>". I beat my
head against it for a while, and finally grabbed the source RPM to the
version of lpr that he had.  I traced it down to the lpd daemon
process wanting to connect (bleep) to a socket and failing. The file
it was trying to connect to was a pipe already, and I wasn't sure why.
I tried a few quick things like reinstalling lpr & such, but ran out
of time.

Anyway, if your problem persists, grab the source RPM, head into the
source directory for it, and grep for that error message in the lpd
daemon file. The filename that it tries to open on the connect is
#defined in one of the header files -- in the directory above the
source code, I think.

A thought I had just now, and I don't remember if I tried it or not,
would be to remove the file that it's trying to connect() to and see
if restarting lpd creates it correctly.

Hope this little bit helps,

-jeff
--
"That young girl is one of the least benightedly unintelligent organic life
forms it has been my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to avoid