Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] More Logging into NT LAN

To: "Aclug-L" <aclug-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] More Logging into NT LAN
From: "Nathan Cozzens" <ncozzens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:56:00 +0300

> I don't know about dos, but for windows, run winipcfg for the equivilent
of ifconfig.

Thanks!  The winipcfg command showed me what Windows was using, and I was
able to use that to get Linux to see the proxy.  The key ingredient I was
missing was the default gateway.
ie:  The proxy is xxx.xxx.157.16:80
My DHCP assigned stuff is xxx.xxx.161.147, and 255.255.255.0
The default gateway of xxx.xxx.161.1 is what let me see through the subnet
mask and ping the proxy.

Unfortunately, this only opened the door to the next road block.  This LAN
is locked down pretty tight, only allowing web access to a few, depending on
your username and the computer you're using.  I gave Linux the same hostname
as Window's "Computer name" in the "Identification" tab of the network
control panel.  I created a Linux user with the same username and password
as the one I'm using in Windows.  But when I try to use Netscape (automatic
proxy configuration) and get onto the web, it denies me access, with the
following message.

The proxy automatic configuration file is not of the correct type:

 xxx.xxx.153.16:80

Expected the MIME type of application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig.

No proxies will be used.

Any ideas on what to do with this one?

Nate Cozzens