Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: HELP!!!

To: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: HELP!!!
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:47:36 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Wayne White wrote:

> At 06:59 PM 11/22/1999 -0600, you wrote:
> >On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Wayne White wrote:
> >
> >> I installed a second NIC into my linux box, RH6.0, recompiled
> >> a kernel to have the tulip support. Now that NIC has become
> >> eth0 and is working and the original NIC, a Linksys ISA card,
> >> isn't recognized anymore. I haven't been able to get the
> >> machine to see it at all that I can tell. Help, where did I
> >> go wrong? How do I fix this?
> >
> >     Is a Linksys ISA an NE2000 clone?  If so, did you compile in
> >NE2000 as well?  You will need both compiled in for it to recognize both
> >cards.
> >

> Yes, it is a NE2000 clone. I did compile that in as well. Now what?

        Sometimes compiling support directly in (as a non-module) is not
the best idea.  I don't remember if you said if you used modules or not.
Is the ISA card PNP?  I have had trouble with them.  You may need to
specify parameters to the ne module to get it to recognize the card.  You
may need to use the isapnp tools to get the ISA card to work, if it is
PNP.  Another option is sell the ISA card and get another PCI tulip card
(hopefully the same model as you currently have).  I have a machine here
with two PCI tulip cards in it. It works fine and LINUX detects them both.

                                Hope this helps,

                                T W

> Wayne

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx