Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Celeron vs. PII?

To: aclug-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Celeron vs. PII?
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 06:26:24 -0600

Hi All.

I've been away from hardware just long enough so some of these things
have passed me by.  Anyway, I'm wanting to throw together a system
this winter, but am a bit unsure of the practical difference between
the Celeron and Pentium II processors, except for about $100.  I
assume both are 32 bit chips and both support the same amount of RAM
on board, etc.  Is there a major performance issue?  So any particulars
would be appreciated.

On a related note.  I'm looking at main boards without such things
as integrated video and audio considering such features would be
less supported in the kernel and X (ie propretary/Win only interfaces).
Also, I'm looking at models that include an AGP slot, which I assume
is the current rage for video adapters much like VESA Local Bus was
5 or 6 years ago.

Any thoughts/experiences on this stuff would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | N0NB @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM       | "None can love freedom