Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: SCSI Reference Sheet

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: SCSI Reference Sheet
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 22 Nov 1999 20:19:33 -0600

I looked at it on Dale's site.

Here's some constructive criticism :-)

Wide SCSI comes only in 68-pin configurations.

SCSI-1 and SCSI-2 are signaling protocols.  Generally all types of
physical links are possible with SCSI-2.  SCSI-3 does not exist, which
is made trickier by many vendors labeling of UW or U2W cards as
SCSI-3.

Non-wide communication never uses 68 pins.  However it is possible to
use a 68-pin connector but just not utilize all the pins.

The 50-pin connector is generally called the 'mini-50'.

Linux's README file for the ncr53c8xx has a nice summary of the
NCR/Symbios cards.

Usually the transfer rate is expressed in terms of signalling
frequency; ie 5MHz instead of 5Mtps.

SCSI-1 devices are not generally, if ever, wide.

-- John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
The 802,739th digit of pi is 1.