Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux classes and certification

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux classes and certification
From: "The Bobster" <thebobster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 07:43:54 -0600

My understanding of the Red Hat Exam is that this test ts implemented in a
closed environment with a student and an examiner. Rather than taking a
simple online exam, the student has to demonstrate the ability to install,
configure and troubleshoot the system. The student will have to know the
command line and the config tools, as well as have familiarity with
directory structures and the location of the configuration files.

The Red Hat Cert is already worth more than a dime. IBM is sending their
people on the Linux support side through the Red Hat program in droves.

You won't get any argument from me about the value of cetifications. It is
far more important to be qualified than certified. If you want to point a
finger, blame the Human Resources department for not knowing enough about
technical skills to be able to perform a valid skills assessment during an
interview or a performance review. The HR folks don't know MCSE from CNE
from CPA. If you go in there and tell them about your abilities to configure
X, Samba, sendmail, and then rattle off a couple of dozen commands with
switches, you are likely to cause a spontaneous cerebral implosion. If you
go in their with a sheet that says "I'm a Certified Yadayada", they'll be
more receptive.

Alot of folks are moving into IT now, and alot of CNE's and MCSE's are
taking a look at Linux. They want a knowledge transfer, and the people they
answer to want to verify that they went to class instead of the first tee.
It's very easy for someone to lie about their skill set when they are
applying for a 50, 60, 70k position. At least with a cert, you can be a more
convincing liar 80).

My .02,

Bob Reinsch
Certified Something or Other