Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux classes and certification

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux classes and certification
From: "The Bobster" <thebobster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:26:20 -0600

Patrick,

There are a couple of differing views on certification. As a trainer, I am
biased, as I make my living teaching certified classes on the Microsoft
side, as well as for Compaq & IBM. Personally, I am interested becoming a
certified trainer, and am pursuing a couple of certification options

There are distro certs at this time being offered by Red Hat ($$) and
Caldera ($$). These classes are offered at their facilities and through
there authorized training centers. There are two independent(?) groups
trying to put together non-distro-centric certifications as well, The
SAIR/GNU Linux Group and the Linux Professional Institute,
www.linuxcertification.com, and www.lpi.org, respectively.  Compaq is big
into the SAIR group, and Caldera is big into the LPI group (I was a
technical editor for a book by the lpi chief, Dan York).

There is a possibility that these two groups will merge. The objective of
these certification tracks is to demonstrate a minimum competency in several
defined areas. The SAIR/GNU group already has a test available that many of
the ACLUG members could easily pass. My intent is to take the exam next
week, and to do my first co-teach on the Level 1 material in January.

I'd be happy to field any other questions on this matter directly.

Sincerely,

Bob Reinsch