Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: sendmail question

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: sendmail question
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:34:53 -0600

> On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Jesse Kaufman wrote:
>
> > ok, when i send a message while i'm offline, i get one of those
> > "couldn't send e-mail for the past hour"...  how do i queue e-mail
> > w/o that happening.... (when offline)
>
> Well, that's the expected behavior: a warning that it couldn't send
> the email that you told it to send.  Workarounds:
> a) delete the warning
> b) postpone the message (don't send it) until you're online.
> c) hack sendmail & figure a way to extend the warning

Here's the appropriate section from the sendmail FAQ available at
http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.12

Subject: Q4.12 -- How can I batch remote mail to be sent using my ISP while
delivering local mail immediately?
Date: October 14, 1997
Updated: February 9, 1999
First, you need to get sendmail not to use DNS on your local machine so your
host doesn't trying to connect to your ISP for a DNS query. See Q3.22 for
more information.

You also need to designate a "smart host" or external relay to handle all
mail that you can't deliver locally (this would be your ISP's mailhost).

You need to configure it so that the smtp mailer is considered "expensive"
by adding the F=e mailer flag and tell sendmail not to connect to expensive
mailers by default by setting the HoldExpensive option to True.

You need to add mydomain.com to the sendmail.cw file or the Cw line in the
sendmail.cf. See Q4.5.

Finally, you need to run a program periodically to check in with your ISP
and get them to deliver any mail they may have queued for you. See Q3.23.

It's just a matter of telling sendmail that mail outside your local network
is "expensive", so "don't try to deliver it until I tell you to".

--dwh

 -
Dale W Hodge  *  dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxx *
dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx