Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: modem question...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: modem question...
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:12:08 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, gLaNDix wrote:

> >What does 'netstat -rn' look like both before and after dialing up?
>
> i'll check when i reboot before i call southwind again...
>
> >Are you able to ping southwind's gateway IP address after dialing up?
>
> what is their gateway IP...  is it something like 209.x.x.253 (i
> *think* that was the ip it gave for the remote computer)...  if
> so, i cannot...  i can only ping the ip it lists as local, and no
> others....

Well, we may have found the problem: if you can't ping the remote IP
address, then your routing isn't getting set up (I'm assuming you
don't have outgoing firewall rules?).  Whatever ppp package you're
using should set up the default gateway as being that remote IP
address.  If it's not (you can check with 'netstat -rn' and look for
the line with the "G" flag), then that's where to look.

I asked for the routing tables before you were dialing up just in case
you maybe had another route or two set up for another network
connected to this computer. if you're just on a single computer,
dialing up, then just look at what 'netstat -rn' shows after dialing
up.

-jeff
--
default, n.: [Possibly from Black English "De fault wid dis system is you,
mon."] The vain attempt to avoid errors by inactivity.  "Nothing will