Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] modem question...

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] modem question...
From: "gLaNDix" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 19:17:21 -0600

ok, i've gotten my modem to dialup, login, and start ppp correctly... only
problem is i STILL have no internet...  i fixed my last problem, now this one
is equally as perplexing...  my last problem was due to a misconfigured IRQ on
my modem (IRQ 5 when it should've been 3)...  now, in /var/log/messages, i get
an IP assigned to me, and it lists the remote IP, but it seems as if something
is misconfigured on my system, because i cannot ping anything, including the
remote IP (i can, however ping the IP it gives to my computer)...

maybe some gateway configuration?

i used to be on a LAN, so it was configured to use those settings...  could
that be my problem?  is there something in /etc/networks or /etc/hosts or
/etc/resolv.conf i need to change?  my /etc/networks has the old 192.168.0.0 IP
in it, which i used to use for the LAN connection, and my /etc/hosts is as
follows:

127.0.0.1    localhost
192.168.0.26    LLoYDix.gLaNDix.com

my /etc/resolv.conf has southwind.net as the doname, and 206.53.103.[1,3] as
the DNS entries...

anyone got an idea?  i contacted SW, and they helped me out a bit (telling me
about pon and poff), but after i got my IRQ thing fixed, i couldn't get ahold
of the guy that was helping me...

a HUGE thanks to anyone who can help me...
jesse