Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Web Browsers

Subject: [aclug-L] Web Browsers
From: Nathan & Jenny <njcozzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:30:01 -0500

Not too long ago I finally got my Linux box to sign-in to my ISP and let me
surf the web.  I'm still part timing it between Win98 and Linux, so I'm
doing a lot of comparing.  It appears that Netscape Communicator isn't
communicating with the window manager (enlightenment).  While Internet
Explorer would display web content such as a typical pull-down menu with
the same buttons and windows that you'd find in any Windows app, this isn't
the case with Netscape Communicator.  The same web site's pull-down menu
will look more like a skeleton of a button and window instead of the
graphical buttons that are normally a part of a Linux window environment.

Does Netscape Communicator work better with some window managers than
others?

A while back I posted an e-mail to this list that asked which window
managers are people's favorites.  One individual (I don't remember who)
said they don't like using any window manager at all.  Will Netscape
Communicator work in the absence of a window manager, or would you have to
find some other type of web browser for that situation?

Nate