Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: WinLinux 2000 Beta

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: WinLinux 2000 Beta
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 07:02:06 -0500

First - Boy am I glade to now have an ADSL connection to the Web.... This
file was close to 140mb..

Second -

The system installed to:
    PC/Chips Motherboard W/Video&Sound built in.
    64meg memory
    (C) 1.7meg Harddrive
    (D) 4gig Harddrive
    (S-Z) two NEC 4X4 CDROM Drives.
    Win'98SE
    Linksys NIC

This LINUX install loaded on the first try! It saw and installed all my PC
CHIPS intergraded hardware except my WinModem, yet since is read and saw my
Win'98 network settings I did not have to configure the local machine
settings to allow NETSCAPE to access the WWW through the Win'98 ICS software
out my ADSL modem connected on another machine.

The harddrive loaded on was my 'D' drive a 4gig harddrive 32-FAT formatted.

It only loads one desktop style by default, KDE.

And while it seems to be missing a few of the more advanced features of a
full RED HAT install, it does give the user enough to get a new user up and
going.

Being a new user the one thing that I wished that the install would of done
was to of installed SAMBA and AUTOMOUNTED all other drives / partitions on
my system.

A few of the games do not install correctly.. but from as far as I can tell
all other software installed correctly.

More as I learn more.

Links to places:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdtv/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,3656,2376797,00.h