Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Oops!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Oops!
From: "James G." <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:13:04 -0500

Curtis Hawthorne wrote:

> > The sendmail problem is probably caused by not having the correct format
> > for your "hostname".
>
> Ok, what is the correct format for my hostname?  Right now it is
> buster.thinktank  Do I need to have a .com, .net, or something?  I don't
> own a domain, and I have a dynamic IP address, so I didn't think I would
> need one of those...

In /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1         localhost       localhost.localdomain
192.168.1.1      buster.thinktank      buster
192.168.1.2     other.computer     other

#buster.thinktank = fqdn = fully qualified domain name
#buster = local alias
#
#If this dosen't work, add a ".net" at the end of buster.thinktank
(buster.thinktank.net).

I once asked John G. about using .net and he said it shouldn't interfere with
the internet.

Also read the "Net-3"  Howto.

James G.