Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Oops!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Oops!
From: "James G." <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 22:11:54 -0500

Curtis Hawthorne wrote:

> How do you make Linux bypass all of the startup files and just give you
> the command prompt?  Like Windoze Safe Mode.  I made a few changes to my
> system and now when I boot, it freezes when it starts the Linuxconf
> daemon.  It also takes forever for sendmail to startup.  I would like to
> be able to look at the config files without having them start up.  Also,
> any ideas as to why this would happen?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Curtis Hawthorne

At the "Lilo:" prompt (at boot up), type:

linux single

This will put you in Single user mode, a run level with little to no
Daemons running.
When you're ready to test the system, type:

telinit 3

This is a multi user run level (with lots of Daemons running).

The sendmail problem is probably caused by not having the correct format
for your "hostname".

James G.