Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: How do I install applications?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: How do I install applications?
From: Larry_Bottorff@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:24:24 -0500

Some ancillary install issues:

On the typical package xxxx.tar.gz, where should you put it? Open it? Once
you've done ./configure, make, make install (make test), can you delete the
setup's directory structure, or is make clean all you should do? I know make
installs usually copy executables etc. into more generic locations, e.g., /bin,
but is that always the case? I've seen /usr/local/etc as a place to unpack, also
/usr/local/source/, as well as a few others. I can usually get things running,
but I know I'm leaving a mess on my computer.

Also, I read somewhere about how to keep two or more disk mountings in order to
keep apps and system/kernel stuff separate. This user said he could change Linux
versions without redoing all his installed software. Doesn't a new kernel/Linux
version require manually compiled software to be redone, like maybe a new Linux
has different libraries?

Larry Bottorff