Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: bad cookie

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: bad cookie
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:12:31 -0500 (CDT)

I never used xauth I've always used xhost, so
xhost + 'hostname'
will allow anyone logged into your machine, to display x apps on your
X screen. If you don't have more than user on you machine at a time, this
is
fine.

without out the hostname anyone from any machine can display stuff on your
X session, which doens't matter unless your connected to other machines.

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Jeff wrote:

> I believe you want something like:
>
> [phrostie@whatever]$ su root
> xxxx
> [root@whatever]$ xauth add localhost:0 . [[something]]
>

> but I don't use xauth (probably should), but I don't have to, so I
> haven't learned this.  Poke around the xauth and X server manpages.
>
> -jeff
> --
> Linux ... find out what you've been missing while
>           you've been rebooting Windows NT. --Infoworld

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
Dictator-for-Life Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
"Eric also holds a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and shoots pistols for relaxation,
His favorite gun is the classic 1911-pattern .45 semiautomatic"

  -- Chris DiBona on neo-renassaince Homo Heileinias Eric S. Raymond. (Open
Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)