Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Question!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Question!
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:18:13 -0500

run: id

if that gives you your login name and user id, the problem is in whoami,
which may mean that wtmp or utmp is corrupt.

another test would be: ls -ld $HOME

if id fails, the c library routine getpwent(3) is either unable to parse
your /etc/passwd file (unlikely, but check it for # and too many :), or it
isn't looking there. the latter would be the case if you're using NIS.

personally, i avoid NIS like the plague, but as i recall, it gets triggered
by a line in /etc/passwd which begins with +.

--
/*
 * Tom Hull -- mailto:thull@xxxxxxxxxxx or thull@xxxxxxxxxx