Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: The Future: Results

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: The Future: Results
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 12:27:43 -0500

Larry_Bottorff@xxxxxxx wrote:

> It seems to me that Linux should go directly after the MS LAN islands running
> VB. And many responses to my first post listed a boat-load of alternatives to
> VB, mainly Tk or Java or even Web techniques. All right, I believe you. Now,
> does anyone feel like taking on IKON or the other big-$$ consultants who push
> the "VB on MS LAN islands" albatros? Linux can beat a VB/MS LAN on price,
> stability, security, networking (in spades), and functionality.

Well, one of the great things about Free Software is that if you want to go
off and write a VB clone to torpedo MS on their own turf, no one can stop
you. (They may laugh at you, but, hey, it's not a perfect world.)

In fact, someone is trying to do it. They're begging for developers, so knock
yourself out:

    http://www.multimania.com/sxpert/gnuvb/

On a cautionary note, I will add that (IMO of course) people use VB because
it is Microsoft, not the other way around. Without Bill Gates' affection,
Basic would be long dead by now (as indeed it is on every other platform).

--
/*
 * Tom Hull -- mailto:thull@xxxxxxxxxxx or thull@xxxxxxxxxx