Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] The Future: Results

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] The Future: Results
From: Larry_Bottorff@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 13:52:52 -0500

I got some response from my earlier posting of "The Future" where I basically
asked what sort of future Linux had, especially as a challenger to the Microsoft
LAN hegemony in the business world. All of the response was good.

As I was saying, the vast majority of computing is done in the business world
and has to do with data management of one (boring?) sort or another. This
usually means a front-end giving access to database servers, not to mention
"office productivity" apps. The lion's share of this sector is now controlled by
Microsoft, as they provide the OS and the client software, usually in the form
of Visual Basic, hence, the tons of VB jobs you see in any IT help wanted
listing. I now work in an MS shop, and we produce VB software. Although our app
is meant for the public to download, the vast majority of VB apps were designed
to run on the millions of Microsoft LAN islands across the world.

My first exposure to Linux came in Seattle in '94 when some UW CS students set
me up with Linux on my home computer. Hanging out with them and seeing their
Solaris environment, I was blown away by the Borg-like networking the Unix world
offered; this was truly computing for grown-ups. Since then I could never
understand why the Unix world let MS take over the business office world.

It seems to me that Linux should go directly after the MS LAN islands running
VB. And many responses to my first post listed a boat-load of alternatives to
VB, mainly Tk or Java or even Web techniques. All right, I believe you. Now,
does anyone feel like taking on IKON or the other big-$$ consultants who push
the "VB on MS LAN islands" albatros? Linux can beat a VB/MS LAN on price,
stability, security, networking (in spades), and functionality.

I for one want to begin thinking about mainstream computing with Linux/open
source as a real career. There are many issues to discuss before anything
serious can be attempted, but try to imagine a medium-sized company that
produces some sort of widget and all the various computing needs they might
have.

I know for me, I'd rather not do MS for a living; however, competing with all
the Linux super gurus for the rare, niche Linux guru jobs doesn't have much
future, either. Let me hear your ideas. . . .

Larry Bottorff