Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Diald

To: ACLUG <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Diald
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 22:18:15 -0500 (CDT)

You can _theoretically_ do some of that with straight pppd--you can,
according to the man page, specify filters for which types of packets
bring up the link.  When I tried to do it, though, pppd complained about
unrecognized commands (a case of unfeatured documents, rather than
undocumented features?)

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Dale W Hodge wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Jonathan Hall wrote:
>
> > Why use diald at all?  Just add this to your /etc/ppp/options file:
> >
> > demand
> > idle 1200
> > persist
> > 10.10.10.10:206.53.111.111
> > ipcp-accept-local
> > ipcp-accept-remote
> >
> > That tells pppd to A) Dial on demand, D) Disconnect after 1200 seconds
> > idle (20 minutes), C) keep running even after a disconnect, so it can dial
> > on demand again later, D) gives it a local and remote IP address for
> > routing purposes when the link is down, E) Tells it to renegotiate the
> > *real* local IP address when a connection is made and F) Tells it to
> > renegotiate the *real* remote IP address when a connection is made.
> >
> > Much easier than configuring diald, and just as effective (if not more
> > effective) for most uses.
> >

> The nice thing about diald is that it supports rule sets on what kinds of
> packets bring up the link, how long the link should stay up depending on
> the packet type and destination, and has nice monitoring tools so you can
> see what's going on.
>
> As for the original question:  Look for the file "standard.filter" which
> is installed with the diald package. The file may reside in different
> places depending on compile options or distribution package.  You can set
> various timers like the ones below:
>
> ------------
> # make sure http transfers hold the link for 2 minutes, even after they
> end.
> # NOTE: Your /etc/services may not define the tcp service www, in which
> # case you should comment out the following two lines or get a more
> # up to date /etc/services file. See the FAQ for information on obtaining
> # a new /etc/services file.
> accept tcp 120 tcp.dest=tcp.www
> accept tcp 120 tcp.source=tcp.www
>
> # If we don't catch it above, give the link 10 minutes up time.
> accept tcp 600 any
>
> - Dale -
>
>    __   _
>  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-