Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Diald

To: ACLUG <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Diald
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 21:58:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> Why use diald at all?  Just add this to your /etc/ppp/options file:
>
> demand
> idle 1200
> persist
> 10.10.10.10:206.53.111.111
> ipcp-accept-local
> ipcp-accept-remote
>
> That tells pppd to A) Dial on demand, D) Disconnect after 1200 seconds
> idle (20 minutes), C) keep running even after a disconnect, so it can dial
> on demand again later, D) gives it a local and remote IP address for
> routing purposes when the link is down, E) Tells it to renegotiate the
> *real* local IP address when a connection is made and F) Tells it to
> renegotiate the *real* remote IP address when a connection is made.
>
> Much easier than configuring diald, and just as effective (if not more
> effective) for most uses.

The nice thing about diald is that it supports rule sets on what kinds of
packets bring up the link, how long the link should stay up depending on
the packet type and destination, and has nice monitoring tools so you can
see what's going on.

As for the original question:  Look for the file "standard.filter" which
is installed with the diald package. The file may reside in different
places depending on compile options or distribution package.  You can set
various timers like the ones below:

------------
# make sure http transfers hold the link for 2 minutes, even after they
end.
# NOTE: Your /etc/services may not define the tcp service www, in which
# case you should comment out the following two lines or get a more
# up to date /etc/services file. See the FAQ for information on obtaining
# a new /etc/services file.
accept tcp 120 tcp.dest=tcp.www
accept tcp 120 tcp.source=tcp.www

# If we don't catch it above, give the link 10 minutes up time.
accept tcp 600 any

- Dale -

   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a