Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Help! Netscape crashes constantly

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Help! Netscape crashes constantly
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:16:51 -0500

Curtis Hawthorne wrote:

> I am using Netscape version 4.6 for Linux - I got the
> rpms from redhat.com.  It is an ok browser, the only
> problem is that it crashes constantly!  Especially if
> I have more than one window open, I can expect it to
> crash within a minute or so.  When I run it from a
> terminal by typing "netscape &" after it crashes, it
> gives me this message:
> [1]   Bus error netscape

This is a classic NS error.  I recall a couple of years ago running NS
3.01 or so on my spanking new Slackware '96 system and receiving that
error more often than I cared to admit.  It seemed to be related to NS
being linked to a much older libc5, IIRC.  On my Links page I think
there still exists the URL for the page that offered a work around.
Some time later I upgraded the C libs to 5.4.44 (Slack '96 had 5.3.12, I
think) and since then I've had very few NS related problems.  I ran ver
4.05 for sometime and had the usual memory leak that filled the swap
partition, the occasional crashes when using Java, and at times death
for no particulare reason at all...

A few weeks back I downloaded Communicator 4.61 and I think it is more
stable than 4.05 was.  The rendering seems faster on this 486/100 than
4.05's rendering.  Go figure...I'm always the odd one out of the
bunch...

> Does that mean that there is something wrong with my
> motherboard?  If so, how does linux detect such
> things?  Should I be using a different browser or
> getting a new motherboard?  Are there other browsers
> with comparable features?

Probably not, it seems to be an internal NS error message.  For Linux
there are no graphical browsers with the same feature set as NS.
Hopefully, this will change with the Mozilla and GZilla projects.  What
is needed is an excellent browser, not an Internet OS that runs in a
windw!

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | N0NB @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM       | "None can love freedom