Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] sound card

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] sound card
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 18:33:09 -0500

From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Would anyone like to recommend an inexpensive sound card
>that would be easy to use with linux? I tried a Sound
>Blaster 16 PCI. I don't think it works with linux. Can't
>get anything but static and bleed over from the monitor
>cable. Help!

The easiest to set up, and best supported that I've seen have been the older
SB-16s, the ones with jumpers to set the IRQs & stuff.

I did set a system up recently with a SB-16 Vibra (the PnP version) and it
was kind of hit or miss. isapnp wouldn't locate the card. Fortunately, I was
able to guess at the default IRQ & DMA address and found it. It didn't
conflict with anything and it worked just fine there, but if I'd had a lotta
stuff in the system, it could have been an ugly setup chore.

My system has an AWE64 in it that's never worked when Linux was booted, but
I never spent much time with it. Don't know if I tried to use isapnp to set
it up or not, it's been a long time since I set that system up and it's
worked fine and I never really needed sound when using Linux, so I just left
it. I'm probably going to upgrade that one sometime before long, so perhaps
I'll spend more time getting it to work when I do. It's the machine my kids
use to run their games & stuff, so it's booted to Windoze most of the time
anyhow.

Greg