Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] here is a laugh to start your day!!

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: root@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] here is a laugh to start your day!!
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:12:44 -0500 (CDT)

True story from SouthWind tech support:

One of our techs got a call and during the call asked the customer: "Do
you have Windows?"
Customer replied, "I live in a basement apartment."

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Michael Holmes wrote:

> Technophobia - (true stories from files of Customer Service Departments)
>
>           For that time when you have a moment and need a good laugh.
>
> A woman called the Canon help desk with a problem with her printer. The
> techie
> asked her if she was "running it under Windows." The woman responded,
> "No,
> my desk is next to a door. But that's a good point, because the man
> sitting
> in the
> cubicle next to me IS under a window, and his is working fine."
>                                          **********
> Tech Support: "OK, Bob, let's press the control and escape keys at the
> same time. That brings up a task list in the middle of the screen. Now
> type
> the letter 'P' to bring up the Program Manager."Customer: "I don't have
> 'P'."
> Tech Support: "On your keyboard, Bob."Customer: "What do you mean?"
> Tech Support: "'P' on your keyboard, Bob."Customer: "I am not going to
> do
> that!"
>                                        **********
> Overheard, in a computer shop:
> Customer: "I'd like a mouse mat, please."
> Salesperson: "Certainly sir, we've got a large variety. How about this
> one?"
> Customer: "But will it be compatible with my computer?"
>                                      **********
> Customer in computer shop: "Would you copy the Internet onto this disk
> for
> me?"
>                                     **********
> Got a call from a woman who said that her laser printer was having
> problems:
> the bottom half of her printed sheets were coming out all blurry. It
> seemed
> strange that the printer was smearing only the bottom half, so I walked
> her
> through the basics, then went over and printed out a test sheet. It
> printed
> fine.
> I asked her to print a sheet, so she sent a job to the printer. As the
> paper
> started coming out, she yanked it out and showed it to me.
>                                    **********
> I had been doing Tech Support for Hewlett-Packard's DeskJet division for
>
> about
> a month when I had a customer call with a problem I just couldn't
> solve.She
> could not print yellow. All the other colors would print fine, which
> truly
> baffled me because the only true colors are cyan, magenta, and
> yellow.For
> instance, green is a combination of cyan and yellow, but green printed
> fine,
> so I
> knew that the yellow nozzle was not clogged.
> Every color of the rainbow printed fine except for yellow. I had the
> [...]

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-