Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] "Winmodems" for Linux

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] "Winmodems" for Linux
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:37:35 -0500

>Every household in the U.S. has a telephone line or at least has that
>capability.  Thus, a modem works for anyone.
>
>Far fewer have cablemodem access.  Some communities don't even have cable
>TV access!
>
>And ADSL, even in cities like Wichita, cannot work for everyone.  Last
>estimates I heard from bell were that only 40% of Wichita would be able to

>use ADSL.

Not to mention the cost. My dialup ISP charge is $5 a month plus a little
extra for extra connect hours. A cable modem costs $40 a month, on top of
the charge for cable TV (which is required). I rarely pay over about $12 a
month for internet service and I do everything I want to right now. Despite
the increased speed, it's not worth $40 more a month to me for internet
access. I don't know about prices for ADSL, but ISDN is considerably more,
and requires a more expensive modem too.

>Modems will not be forgotten so quickly....

I tend to agree.

Greg (cheapskate)