Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] slip Server

To: aclug <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ntlug ntlug <discuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] slip Server
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:44:21 -0500 (CDT)

Why not use PPP?  PPP is much better than SLIP as SLIP is very outdated.

The simplest way to do that is to probably install mgetty on your "Server"
machine, and configure it to do auto PPP (which is probably the default
setting). Then, anyone with an account on your system can dial into your
system and use any standard PPP client (Windows, Mac, Linux, OS/2, you
name it) can dial in using PAP authentication.

After installing mgetty, you'll need to edit /etc/inittab to start mgetty
on the appropriate modem device(s) (/dev/ttyS0, for example).  You'll also
need to edit /etc/ppp/pap-secrets to specify which users have access to
dial in with PPP--you can specify specific users, or you can allow all
users access, etc--see the comments in the file for the exact format of
the file.

You may also need or want to edit /etc/ppp/options or
/etc/ppp/options.ttyS0 (replace ttyS0 with the device name appropriate for
your modem(s))

It shouldn't be too difficult.

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Nelson Manuel Moreno Restrepo wrote:

> Where can I get a slip server or how can I make this in red hat.
>
> I need connect 2 pc using the telephone line.
>
> I am reading the net-3Howto , modems-howto, ppp-howto, serial-howto and
> serial-programing-howto but I need a bit help.
>

> thanks

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-