Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Mounting Drive Partition?

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Mounting Drive Partition?
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:59:01 -0500

From: David Carmichael <dec29111@xxxxxxxxx>

>(1) I have not recompiled my Kernel.. Just got the hardware to working the
>way that "I" think it should (modem, soundcard, 'NIC') so how does one tell
>if the VFAT is being loaded? (Partition is not FAT32.. Read somewhere in a
>magazine never to use FAT32 on a harddrive that has been partitioned.)

If you have a FAT partition on your hard drive, and Linux is booted, you can
just try to mount it.  Example:

root@localhost> mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt

If it mounts, you have vfat support.  If not, you might need to rebuild your
kernel to include it (probably as a module).

>(2) Was really looking for some sort of 'TASK SWITCHER' between operating
>systems.. I know that Linux will restart its Kernel with out the need to
>'reboot' the hardware... Maybe the HOW TO when I get a chance to read it
>will tell me more??

If you really want to have both OS's running at the same time, you need a
product called VMware (or similar, it's the only one of it's kind that I've
seen).  It runs on a base operating system (like Linux, or WinNT) and lets
you create "virtual machines", in which you can install a different
operating system and run it simultaneously.  Pretty cool thing!

If you just want to start Linux after Windows is up, use loadlin.

Greg