Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Wine complains about Xpm support

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Wine complains about Xpm support
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 06:24:05 -0500

Timothy Wasson wrote:

> I downloaded a binary of Wine, installed it, and set up my wine.ini file.
> When
> I try to start wine, it gives me a bunch of errors like this:
>
> fixme:x11drv:OBM_CreateBitmaps Xpm support not in the binary, please install
> Xpm
>
> Before I had my wine.ini file configured correctly, it had been complaining
> about bad paths and such, so I think that is fixed now.
> I was sure to grab the binary for libc5 distros like Slackware.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I'm running KDE 1.1, Slackware 4.0

Hi Timothy.

First, check to see of the xpm libary is anywhere on your Slack 4.0
distribution CDs.  If so, install it as Wine uses this library
extensively.  What is happening is that Wine is configured to load the
required code from libxpm for certain graphics functions when it needs
it.  Apparently libxpm is not installed on your system, or if it is
installed, ld.so (the dynamic linker) isn't aware of its location.  if
you find the libxpm package in /usr/X11R6/lib, you will need to run
ldconfig as root so ld.so can find libxpm when required.  If you wind up
installing the package, you may need to run ldconfig as well.  It sounds
more complicated than it really is and it is usually just an additional
step if a package's 'make install' doesn't do it.

I think the Slackware package installer will update the system after you
use it to install a library package.  If libxpm is not on your CD, you
can always snag it from:

http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/X11/libs/xpm-3.4i.tar.gz

BTW, xpm-3.41 *may be* the latest version according to an archived email
at http://www.via.ecp.fr/lyx/archive/9706/msg00027.html a portion if
which follows:

"There is considerable difficulty with their weird numbering scheme,
though.  Version 4.7 is also known as version 3.4g  -- the 3 is the
pixmap file format, the 4 is the major revision number of the library,
the the g (7th letter) is the minor revision number.  Make sense?  No.
But that is what they use.

"So, lib version 4.6 would be 3.4f, etc.  There is 4.8 (3.4h) out as
well, and
maybe even newer.

"David L. Johnson                        dlj0@xxxxxxxxxx,
dlj0@xxxxxxxxxx