Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 1999:
[aclug-L] Upgrading to Debian 2.1

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Upgrading to Debian 2.1
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:51:08 +0000 (GMT)

Has anybody had trouble with upgrading to Debian 2.1 from 2.0?

I tried to merge the two binary CD directories onto my hard drive, and the
only thing I could find that needed modified was the Packages file from
each CD needed merging.

When I did an "apt-get -f dist-upgrade", it uninstalled the telnet and
telnetd packages without warning.  I'm wondering what else it did that I
haven't caught yet.  (The packages were in the mirror, and I just had to
do a dpkg directly on them and I was back in business.)

I'm worried about doing this to my production machine and not catching
problems right away.  I guess that I worry about installing a single major
application upgrade, like apache, and the idea of upgrading more than a
hundred packages at once gives me the willies.

--
Carl (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)