Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 1999:
RE: [aclug-L] Greg, 32 meg total, thanks for the slackware

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [aclug-L] Greg, 32 meg total, thanks for the slackware
From: Michael Holmes <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 23:37:49 -0500

Debian minimum system was 76 meg, and was not quit there.  May have been
me.  I tried to config a /home--/dev/hda3, but it left hda3 blank  I never
found the neat screen they had at the install-fest.  I worked with debian
exclusively with the console mode.

>My swap file is larger than the total system files.  A complete basic
system.  That is with minicom >and modem!  thank you.

Hey, glad to help out!  Did you try the Debian or just go straight to
Slackware?  For all the stuff Slackware isn't, it's incredibly lightweight
in terms of disk space & resources.  I think it's install is pretty easy
too

[Mike Holmes]
It was extremely easy once I added an IDE CD-ROM,  It refused to read a
cdu31a. (old sound blaster Sony 2x CD-ROM) It kept saying use different
disk, I burned at least 20 diskettes of all the boot images and never found
the correct one.  I went down to the computer show and bought a CD-ROM(IDE)
and put in the first diskette I made and after the second diskette loaded,
it found the CD and BOOM!
(now, configuring a full workstation out of it can be a little more
challenging...)

Did you get your serial port program running? [Mike Holmes]  Unfortunately
I went ahead and wrote in Visual C++, I had to meet my dead line.  But, my
next project is to take a scanned image off of a scanner, and write a
script (x -y)  The x-y script will be feed into a floppy in ASCII and then
loaded into a plotter.  The plotter just has to fill a liquid into the area
on the table.  I get to use as big of a machine as I want, just results are
a factor, so I will have to learn graphics (Linux or m$)  I understand
either on graphics, I always thought graphics as just toys/for only games,
and I did not pay too close attention in class.  Now it just bit me!  I am
wanting to use Linux if I can find the headers and learn how they function.

Michael Holmes

Greg