Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Linux Network

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Linux Network
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03 Jul 1999 08:40:31 -0500

Sanjay Dhar <sxdhar@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I was thinking of setting up diskless clients or dumb X terminals. I
> didn't find much information in the HOWTOs telling me how I could
> accomplish that. What I'm trying to do is set up a network something like
> what we have in one of the Jabara Hall Linux labs. (but on a very small
> scale)

Basically, depending on the particular setup, you may need to install
and use bootp for some of the diskless clients.  Others can be
configured with their IP address, so you don't need to mess with
bootp.  Most can be configured to download the OS via NFS.

If you're thinking of making a Linux box into a diskless workstation,
there is exist both a Diskless HOWTO and a Diskless mini-HOWTO.

-- John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
The 176,980,553rd prime number is 3,713,466,209.