Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1999:
[aclug-L] Physical Security of Linux Boxen

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Physical Security of Linux Boxen
From: "Cory T. Lamb" <ctl4u@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 18:14:50 -0500 (CDT)

In looking at a "linux-lab" project I only see one MAJOR problem...  That
is single user mode...  It seems that you can get into single user mode
without the root-passwd as long as you can reboot the box, is this true?
Is there any file I can edit to stop this?  How can labs be run
securely with this "feature".  My machines will be as physically secure as
possible but if they are dual-boot anyone can get root access...  This
would be VERY BAD!  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA.
~Cory

|       Cory T. Lamb       |
|        Unix Admin        |