Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] system problems

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] system problems
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:18:08 -0500

I would try booting with a Linux installation boot disk and run the
Linux fdisk. It does not require you to enter the volume label when
deleting partitions. Unfortunately, I am more familiar with Slackware
than Red Hat, so I can't give you explicit instructions on how to
make an install disk if you don't already have one. There should be
some instructions.

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 11:31:03AM -0500, Todd_Lundstedt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> A friends Win9x computer got goofed up.  To fix it, she tried FDISKing it
> and somehow got it goofed worse.  The volume name is now a combination of
> special chars (like up-arrow, smiley face, etc.).  Since FDISK can't delete
> the partition (since she can't key in the special chars), is there a Linux
> util I could stick on a floppy (complete with enuf stuff to boot) and
> repartition her drive?  I have a working RH 5.2 system available to me (and
> a RH5.1 boxed set).  Instructions on how to setup the boot/util disk would
> be appreciated.  I do want to learn this stuff myself, but right now, the
> priority is to get her system running Win9x ASAP, so her kids don't go
> through any more digital withdrawl.
>

> Thanks in advance for the assitance...

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Junior Systems Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963