Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1999:
[aclug-L] system problems

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] system problems
From: Todd_Lundstedt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:31:03 -0500

A friends Win9x computer got goofed up.  To fix it, she tried FDISKing it
and somehow got it goofed worse.  The volume name is now a combination of
special chars (like up-arrow, smiley face, etc.).  Since FDISK can't delete
the partition (since she can't key in the special chars), is there a Linux
util I could stick on a floppy (complete with enuf stuff to boot) and
repartition her drive?  I have a working RH 5.2 system available to me (and
a RH5.1 boxed set).  Instructions on how to setup the boot/util disk would
be appreciated.  I do want to learn this stuff myself, but right now, the
priority is to get her system running Win9x ASAP, so her kids don't go
through any more digital withdrawl.

Thanks in advance for the assitance...