Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Intel EtherExpress PRO/10+ and RedHat 6.0

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Intel EtherExpress PRO/10+ and RedHat 6.0
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:51:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 ahtumeng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> yes it is a PnP card and its ISA
> i run 2.2.5-15 kernel which is a standart for RedHat 6.0
> if could help me with some more specific detail i'll be very happy
>

> On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Jeff wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 ahtumeng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > > does anybody know how to install Intel EtherExpress PRO/10+ to RedHat
> > > Linux? i cant get my eth work. If anybody knows please tell me, im stuck.
> >
> > Is it PnP? If so, plug it in, then run 'pnpdump > some_file' then go in
> > and edit it (see the included comments as well as the man pages), then put
> > a line to run 'isapnp some_file' in your favorite rc startup file.
> >
> > If it's ISA, and you just have one ethernet card in the box, make sure you
> > have a kernel that has networking & that card compiled in, or as a module,
> > and it should find it on boot.
> > If you have 2 or more cards and need help with that, let us know.
> > If you need help on the kernel side of things, let us know.

You need the eepro driver either compiled in or available as a module. If
you are going the module route "insmod eepro.o"

From the kernel sources networking documentation:

It is *STRONGLY RECOMMENDED* that you supply "io=" instead of autoprobing.
If an "io=" argument is not supplied, then the ISA drivers will complain
about autoprobing being not recommended, and begrudgingly autoprobe for a
*SINGLE CARD ONLY* -- if you want to use multiple cards you *have* to
supply an "io=0xNNN,0xQQQ,..." argument.

Here's the arguments that driver takes:

eepro.c:
        io = 0x200
        irq = 0
        (Probes ports: 0x200, 0x240, 0x280, 0x2C0, 0x300, 0x320, 0x340, 0x360)

If you need more help, let us know...

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx, dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.sktc.net/~dwh, www.dnd.ddns.org
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a