Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] xwindows? which is the best?

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] xwindows? which is the best?
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 21:06:23 -0500

>I am currently running afterstep.  I am thinking of either gnome, or kde.
> Which is the best, which is closest to apple or windows?

I haven't tried the newest version of gnome yet, but I've been using the
version of KDE that came on the RedHat 6.0 CD the last couple of weeks and
I've been pretty impressed with it.  It's very well integrated, between the
desktop & the window manager, seemless.  Look & feel is kind of a cross
between Windows / Mac & the desktop that comes with Irix.  I like it.  Maybe
one of these days I'll get around to installing it on my own machine!

I've used a version of gnome from about 2-3 months ago and it's cool (classy
apps), but not integrated at all with the window manager that it installed
to run itself on (Enlightenment).  At that point in time (pre 1.0) it wasn't
ready for prime time, it was just another panel app.  Enlightenment wanted
to do all this stuff underneath it and you'd get a different menu depending
on what you clicked on.  You had to configure Gnome & E completely
seperately.  Pain in the butt, I only want to do my configuration stuff
once.  I used an even older version of Gnome over fvwm2 and I liked that a
bit better.  Still no integration, but at least fvwm isn't constantly
battling for your attention on the desktop like the default theme they give
you with E (the one gnome installed for me...)

So..my pick would be kde.  Gnome has it's good points too.  Both are pretty
resource intensive (memory, CPU, etc).

> Is there
>anything available yet which will run windows applications.  IE. games
>which have to run in win95

You can try your game under Wine, it's a pretty good emulator, but it's not
complete yet and not everything will run under it.  I tried some
applications at work, some worked, some sort of worked, some crashed and
burned (well, they seg faulted and left me a nice core from wine...)

Greg