Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Great Modem Sale

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Great Modem Sale
From: Bob_Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 21:42:22 +0000

Jonathan Hall wrote:

> Be warned that these modems, while External, are not very high-quality.
> They WILL work with Linux... but they still aren't very good modems.  A
> coworker here at SouthWind had one fo those, and had to force it down to
> 33.6 before he would even be able to make a connection.... sorta defeats
> the purpose of buying a 56k modem, if you ask me.

Yea, upon inspection of their tech support pages on these... Apparently
they can only support ONE of the two major 56K standards at a time.. You
pick the one your ISP has, or you get 33.6 connections...

The have flashable firmware for both V.90 and 56Flex available for
download.. But to do the flash you need to run a DOS program... Yuck.

However... For $50, it's the cheapest 56K external I've yet found and if
you flash with what your ISP supports you should get reasonable 56K
performance from these...  Although, I pitty the fool who tries to get
RMA support from Diamond MM..  I've had much troubble with them.

> Once he got a Courier 56k he is able to connect much faster, I believe,
> although still not at top-rate V.90 speeds, due to his phone lines.

Much better modem, to be sure...  Much more expensive as well..