Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] netscape causing keyboard to 'hang'

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] netscape causing keyboard to 'hang'
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 22:43:55 -0500

You could also try Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X server.  I suspect it's
getting a wedged I/O to the network device (modem) and it's locking
everything else up.

If you suspect a memory related problem, you can try switching your SIMMs
around and seeing if it happens more or less often, more or less quickly.
I've heard a pretty good memory exerciser is the C compiler.  Try running a
kernel build.  If that locks your machine up, there's a good chance you have
a memory problem.  If not, perhaps it's a Netscape problem.  I noticed that
they've recently released version 4.6.  If you don't have it already, you
might download it and see if it works any better.  If you do have it, try an
older version.  If neither work, grab Mozilla and see if that works.

Or, you could dump all the graphics junk and use Lynx.  Be a real hacker,
pictures are just fluff. <g>

Greg