Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] How to install games and other programs with the INSTALL c

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] How to install games and other programs with the INSTALL command...
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 07:03:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Patrick Klee wrote:

> Greetings,
>     I am currently running RedHat 5.2, kernal 2.0.36 and I downloaded
> and online game and a chat program.  I successfully unzipped them, but
> now I need to install them with an INSTALL command.  How do
> I successfully install these programs?

Are you thinking of
"make"
and
"make install"
?

If you can find RPM versions of these programs, it'll be easier to upgrade
or remove them later. Install RPMs with 'rpm -Uvh filename.rpm'.

-jeff
--
If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward,
then we are a sorry lot indeed.  -Albert Einstein