Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Backing up

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Backing up
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 13:23:16 -0500 (CDT)

On 23 Apr 1999, John Goerzen wrote:

> /var/spool/mail is under there, and if you're running a mail server,
> so is /var/spool/mqueue (although if you don't do frequent backups,
> the latter is probably not of any importance.)

mqueue changes too rapidly to bother backing up... twenty minutes later,
it could be entirely different, and restoring a backup is likely to just
duplicate messages.

I grab mail to a remote system more often than I backup, so I figure
/var/spool/mail doesn't need it, but it's small.

> And possibly:

>   /usr/bin

Considering that this is a production Internet server, I want to get it
back up and running in the minimum amount of time with the minimum amount
of fuss.  I don't want to have to go to the install CD for anything... I
want to boot off a floppy, partition and format the disk, and restore my
entire system from archives.  (I'm tempted to switch to SCSI and do
mirroring.)

Most stuff doesn't change much... everything that does (on my system) is
in /var.  So /var gets backed up regularly and everything else when I make
changes.  Like I said, the entire system is under 500M right now.  (I'm
not typical, of course.)

>   /usr/X11R6/bin
>   /usr/X11R6/lib

It may surprise you to know that I'm not running X on this machine.  It's
a server and needes all the processing power it can get.

Thanks!

--
Carl (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)