Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] RMS on APSL

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] RMS on APSL
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 22 Mar 1999 17:00:46 -0600

Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> <OPINION>
> Is it me, or has Eric S. Raymond left the reservation?  I find his
> championing of the APSL disturbing to say the least.  Is he in the
> process of "turning to the dark side" and becoming a Darth Vader to
> haunt us in the future?
> </OPINON>

It's not just you.  Many people, especially within the Debian Group
(the people that wrote the DFSG aka Open Source Definition, and whose
parent orgnization owns the Open Source trademark) are feeling the
same way.  I agree with this asessment myself.

Furthermore, RMS is not the only one to condemn the license.  Many
people have pointed out that it doesn't meet the requirements of
DFSG/OSD to qualify as Open Source, leading to a lot of questioning as
to why ESR is endorsing it.

John