Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
[aclug-L] congress will ban any modem tax

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] congress will ban any modem tax
From: Michael Holmes <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:21:06 -0600

This NEWS.COM (http://www.news.com/) story has been sent to you from  ..

Message from sender:
   Mike: FYI  Even though it was mostly rumor-based, Congress is going to
see that there will be no Modem tax. Great, eh? Dick
Congress to push laws against Net fees
By John Borland
March 18, 1999, 4:45 p.m. PT
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C33995%2C00.html?sas.mail

 Several members of Congress are planning new legislation that would
officially bar federal regulators from imposing new charges on Internet
access.

  In a letter to Federal Communications Commission chairman William Kennard
today, a group of GOP legislators asked him to support legislation
definitively barring his agency from regulating Internet fees.

  "To end this uncertainty once and for all, and to stop the thousands of
emails and phone calls from concerned Internet users," the group wrote, "we
are writing to ask you to work with us on legislation?to make it clear that
the FCC will not regulate the Internet or impose access charges on Internet
service."

  The issue has been a thorny one for Kennard and the rest of the
Commission. Several times over the past few years, rumors have spread that
the FCC or Congress was about to impose new per-minute charges on the Net,
or a "modem tax."

  The issue came to a head again several weeks ago, when a decision over
regulation of ISPs calls stirred up the same talk again.

  Several times over the following week, Kennard tried to dispel Net users'
fears in a series of speeches and public statements.

  "These rumors are nothing but    scare tactics of the worst kind, preying
on the fears of the American people and bringing uncertainty to this
growing market," he said in a speech last week. "Let me say this as clearly
as I can. As long as I am chairman of the FCC, we will not regulate the
Internet."

  As strong as that statement was, the group of GOP legislators--some of
whom are leaders in an effort to scale back the FCC's regulatory
powers--now want more assurances.

  Sen. John McCain (R-Arizona) will introduce a bill "as soon as next week"
that would push the rollout of broadband services, and would prevent the
FCC from tightly regulating these new access services, a spokeswoman said
today. The details of the bill are still being worked out, she added.

  On the House side, Congressional sources said that no specific bill was
in the works, but that the legislators would likely use Kennard's response
to the letter to guide them in drafting legislation.

  Despite Kennard's denial of any intention to impose new Net regulations,
the persistent rumors give the FCC's critics another opportunity to call
for checks on the agency's power.

   "Without such a clarification, there will always be a reason for
Internet users to suspect that FCC regulation could be right around the
corner," the legislators wrote.