Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Is RPM easy?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Is RPM easy?
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 19:12:41 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, j m wagle wrote:

> I have installed redhat 5.2, but I did not install netscape, rather
> I used the 'tar ball' and installed netscape communicator 5.1.
>
> my question,  can I now let RPM 'know' that netscape communicator
> 5.1 is now installed?

[ This is from memory ]

1) cp netscape-communicator-5.1.tar.gz /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
2) make a netscape-communicator-5.1-1.spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
3) cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS; rpm -ba netscape-communicator-5.1-1.spec
4) cd ../RPMS; rpm -Uvh netscape-communicator-5.1-1

The .spec file has a certain format; if you can find some other rpms (like
a previous netscape one) then you can copy it & modify for netscape 5.1.
Otherwise use anything ya got and make it work.  For the %files part, you
want to include anything and everything that the nsinstall script installs
(docs, binaries, config files).

-jeff
----
[ What do you think about the rising global-warming threat? ]
"Glenn Frey foretold of this grave crisis in his prophetic
 1985 hit 'The Heat Is On.'"
Lorraine Schwall, Pediatrician               http://www.theonion.com