Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: Cable Modem speed (Was Re: [aclug-L] ISPs?)

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Cable Modem speed (Was Re: [aclug-L] ISPs?)
From: Todd_Lundstedt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:19:09 -0600

Also heard the same rumor... But at the meeting, they indicated that they
would not be throttling anyone down.. they would have discussions if
someone was abusing their access...

bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx on 03/17/99 03:12:40 PM

Please respond to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx

To:   aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:    (bcc: Todd Lundstedt/VCHS)

Jonathan Hall wrote:

> Regardless of the physical connection types, etc, I haven't heard
ANYTHING
> to say they WON'T be throttling bandwidth to a 128k maximum.  Has anyone
> heard news to the contrary of this?
I heard a rumor that although they don't do this right from the start,
they do monitor usage and will start to throttle you if you reach some
high levels (by their standard) of usage...  The complaint I got was
that they did not notify you of this, nor give you any direct way of
knowing they are doing it.
Not a bad plan, though...  Label your top subscribers as "abusers"
throttle their connections to unacceptable levels (for them) so they go
elsewhere.. Then you can sign up 10 subscribers to take their place and
spend less on infrastructure while collecting 10 monthly fees instead of
1.
I guess I am a bit cynical but hey.. This is the cable company who
insists on charging me for the Home Shopping Channel and QVC while
charging the originators of this programming too....  Must be nice ;)
Does anybody know if they issue you a static routeable IP address (or
addresses) or do they use some dynamic scheme so their IP's float?
-= Bob =-