Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
[aclug-L] [Fwd: [Fwd: Fw: Congressional Vote]]

To: "Air Capital Linux Users Group (aclug)" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] [Fwd: [Fwd: Fw: Congressional Vote]]
From: Steve Michels <smichels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 16:30:14 +0600

Ok, Linux Users - Please, forgive the intrusion if you are not interested in this issue, but there is a "move" afoot to add a "long distance" charge to ALL local internet access calls. I am sending you a copy of the letter that I sent to Todd Tiahrt concerning this, and invite you to do the same. We don't need any "extra" charges for the sake of telephone company "bottom line health." If you agree, please follow the link at the bottom of this page and help get this thrown into the recycle bin!

Thanks,

Steve Michels

Dear Rep. Tiahrt,

I have become aware of legislation being presented in
the near future that would allow the addition of a "long
distance" premium to ALL local internet access calls.

I am writing to ask that you vote in opposition to this bill.
I would also ask that you support the deregulation of the
utility industries.

The rate structure that the telephone companies charge for
their services should be based upon the same competitive
forces that govern most other market values in this world.
I realize that this statement leaves much detail to question,
but this is simply not a just piece of legislation, and in
fact could be viewed as a very clever method of raising
taxes even more than in recent years, by default.

Certain forces of government have been seeking a "way"
to tax internet usage for some time, and by approaching the
issue in this fashion, would succeed in doing precisely
that. Long distance is well taxed, and even while it may
be declining in per minute costs, usage levels are on the
increase.

The addition of a "long distance" premium on local calls
to internet service providers represents an unjust taxation
as not everyone uses the internet to avoid long distance
charges. The face of the telecommunications industry may be
changing, but government intervention is not required.

The current proposal may also be viewed as a block to
the forces that are moving the utilities toward complete
deregulation, and provides even greater opportunity
to forstall legislation that would encourage open market
competition. Please, DO NOT SUPPORT THIS LEGISLATION.

Thank you,

Steven A. Michels, Sr.

http://www.house.gov/writerep/